Cooler temperatures and a killing frost affect some crops in North & South Dakota

0
73

North Dakota

Barley and oat harvests essentially completed this week, while both spring and durum wheat made progress. As of September 18, barley was 98 percent harvested. Durum wheat was 82 percent harvested.  Spring wheat was 93 percent harvested. Oats were 96 percent harvested. Canola was 99 percent swathed and 90 percent harvested.

Eighty-three percent of the corn crop had reached the dented stage, behind 95 percent at this point last year but ahead of 80 percent for the five-year average. Corn for silage was 21 percent chopped. Ninety-five percent of dry edible beans had lower leaves yellowing, 79 percent were dropping leaves, and 25 percent had been cut.  Dry edible peas were 99 percent harvested.

Flaxseed was 61 percent harvested. As of September 18, 81 percent of potatoes had vines killed, and 23 percent were dug. Eighty-two percent of soybeans had lower leaves yellowing, 46 percent had dropped leaves, and 1 percent were harvested. Four percent of the sugarbeet crop was harvested.  Eighty-nine percent of sunflowers had ray flowers dropped, 59 percent had bracts turned yellow, and 12 percent had bracts turned brown.

Other activities during the week included preparations for winter wheat planting.

 

South Dakota

Crop development was slowed last week due to cooler temperatures and a killing frost in some counties affected soybean fields worse than other crops. Soybeans dropping leaves are at 62 percent, behind the previous year of 69 percent.

Ninety percent of the corn is now at the dent stage, with 30 percent rated mature, behind last year at 40 percent. Harvesting of corn silage is now 62 percent complete, behind last year at 77 percent, but slightly ahead of the 5-year average of 61 percent.

Producers continue to make slow progress with seeding of winter wheat with 30 percent complete, 4 percentage points behind last year and 8 percentage points behind the 5-year average.

 

Sources: USDA NASS ND & SD Field Offices

https://americanagnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Podcast-logo-AAN-NEW-1.jpg