BROOKINGS, S.D. – South Dakota State University’s Dakota Lakes Research Farm (DLRF) will host its annual field day on June 29, 2023. The field day will begin at 3:00 PM (CST) and run until dark.
Two field tours will be offered, with each lasting roughly 1.5 hours, and each running twice. Visitors will have the opportunity to attend both tours.
• Overview of the Cropping Year and Update of Ongoing Research – Sam Ireland, Dakota Lakes Research Farm Manager
• Winter Wheat and Crop Variety Testing – Sunish Sehgal, associate professor and SDSU Winter Wheat Breeder and Jon Kleinjan, SDSU Extension Agronomist
• Pea Variety Testing – Christopher Graham, associate professor and SDSU Extension Agronomist
• Importance of Crop Rotation and Impact to Soil Carbon Dynamics – Dwayne Beck, Dakota Lakes Research Farm Manager Emeritus
• Livestock Integration at Dakota Lakes Research Farm – Cody Zilverberg, Dakota Lakes Research Farm Consulting Scientist
• Oats and Forage Oats – Melanie Caffe, assistant professor and SDSU Oat Breeder
• Nutrient Research and Education Council (NREC) Phosphorus Study – Role of Soil Biology – Clarence Winter, SDSU graduate student
The field day is sponsored by South Dakota State University and the Dakota Lakes Research Farm Corporation. A meal will be provided for attendees. There is no cost or registration required to attend.
The farm is located approximately 17 miles east of Pierre on Highway 34 (21310 308th Avenue; Pierre, SD). For more information on the SDSU Dakota Lakes Research Farm Field Day contact Miranda Wilson at 605-224-6357 or at sdsu.dlrf.secretary@sdstate.